Children of the BogEdit
- The Children of the Bog, also known as Mudlings, The Children, or Gre'rihk in their own tongue, are revolting, misanthropic, and xenophobic creatures that populate swamps, marshes, and bogs throughout Arziak, namely in the isle of Pirtok.
- An unfriendly people, the children will usually meet anyone trespassing into their lands with immediate violence. They tend to wait underwater, only to spring out of the filthy water long enough to attack the intruders with their specially-made blowguns, their own spittle, or whatever else the mudlings are able to throw at them
- Children of the bog are about three to four feet tall. Their skin ranges from a pale green to a deep red-brown, and their hair varies just as much. Skin and hair colors tend to be the same within a single community of The Children, not due to any prejudice, but due to the fact that Mudling skin and hair tend to be directly affected by the swamps through which they so often swim. Their teeth are usually decayed and slightly pointed, and their fingernails are disgusting and soaked with the rot of the bog.
- Children of the Bog rarely have anything resembling society. At best, they form a tribal community that is only kept together by promises of bloodshed, something which The Children love very much. At worst, it is kill or be killed, and even the bonds of family mean little when squabbling over territory, mates, or loot. Most commonly, however, Children of the Bog remain bonded only to their own families, and are hostile to most anyone else, particularly those who encroach on what they consider to be their territory. Even so, Mudlings are not unknown to kill or pursue their own family, and some even turn to cannibalism.
- For those few Children of the Bog who choose to leave their homelands and travel the world, life is usually trying at best. Most maintain a low profile, as many societies will not let such vile creatures into their cities, and the urge to kill anyone who offends you is strong in the race. Most Mudlings with PC levels focus on stealth and ranged combat, but there are some druids and barbarians as well.
- Children of the Bog are violent, unruly people, and so tend toward chaos and evil. Adventuring Mudlings are rarely like their kindred, however, and some may even turn to the cause of good. Still, lawful Children are as odd as they are rare, but those few that are often become monks.
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, -2 Intelligence: The Children are fast and tough, but have great difficulty getting along with other races, and are rarely learned.
- Small: Mudlings are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Speed: 30 feet, Swim 20 feet
- Spittle: Children of the Bog can spit into an enemy's face once per 1d4 rounds, and their spittle, corrupted by the filth of The Children's homeland, is painful and blinding. As a standard action, one may spit into someone's eyes (a ranged touch attack). If it hits, the target takes 1d3 acid damage and must make a foritude save (DC= 10+Constitution Modifier+1/2 levels) or be blinded for 1d4 rounds.
- Born of the Bog: Children of the Bog are well adapted to life in their chosen habitat, and so are able to function better in such areas than most others. The Children can hold their breath three times as long as most people, and are immune to the sickened condition. An effect that would normally nausiate a Mudling only sickens it.
- Pestilence: Mudlings' nails are dirty and sharp. An unarmed strike made by one does piercing rather than bludgeoning damage, ands an enemy has a 25% chance of suffering the effects of a random disease (Fortitude DC 11+Con Mod negates). In addition, The Children gain a +2 bonus on saves against poison and a +3 bonus on saves aganist disease.
- Low-Light Vision, Darkvision 30 Feet
- Keen Senses: Mudlings gain a +2 bonus on Perception and Stealth checks.
- Favored Casses: Rogue, Ranger
Sample Child of the Bog NPCEdit
Child of the BogEdit
- Child of the Bog, 1st-Level Rogue
- Small Humanoid (Halfling)
- Hit Dice: 1d6+2 (5 HP)
- Initiative: +6
- Speed: 30 feet (6 squares) Swim 20 feet (4 squares)
- Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +2 leather) touch 13, flat-footed 13
- Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+4
- Attack: Dagger +2 melee (1d4/19-20) or Blowgun +2 ranged (1d4/x3+poison)
- Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
- Special Qualities: Mudling Traits, Sneak Attack +1d6
- Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +0
- Abilities: Str 10, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 11, Cha 6
- Skills: Swim +2, Stealth +7, Perception +7, Jump +5, Survival +7, Climb +5
- Feats: Improved Intitiative
- Environment: Swamps, Bogs, Marshes
- Challenge Rating: 1
- Treasure: Standard (Dirty)
- Alignment: Often Chaotic Evil
- Advancement: By character class
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Poison: Applied to first blowgun dart fired. Damage Str 1/Str 1d4, Fort DC 13